Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Alien Device



So I had my first actual day of work at 'Best Buy' as a rep1 or cashier and I have to say it was not what I thought it was going to be. If you have ever been the banker in monopoly that is what I thought it was going to be like. When I was standing next to the register watching the girl who was teaching me have a wave rush of people I thought I was going to die. I was like how am I going to learn all of the stuff I need to learn to help all these people in the quickest most efficient way possible without knowing anything there is to know about registers. Eventually she had to go on break, and I learned literally zero about being a cashier. They moved me to another cashier to help who just clocked in and after it started slowing down he eventually let me on. From observing I learned a bit, but he had to walk me through my first customer of course. After a couple of the step-by-step coaching I pretty much got the hang of it and the alien device that is the cash register wasn't so alien anymore. It's not the most complicated job in the world, but I had a new found respect for cashiers. I learned that it was much easier for them to take currency in form credit/debit then it was to take cash. As soon as my first customer who wanted to pay in cash came up and I had to open the cash register I was like O' NO! I'm going to mess up for sure. It's nothing like monopoly though, you don't have to figure out numbers in your head sometimes. In fact you just press total and then enter the amount they are paying with and it basically tells you how much change there will be in return. What was really hard for me though was asking them whether or not they wanted a bag. I just kept forgetting that small detail. Also, when I was learning how to use the register in the beginning I sometimes forgot to say hi, but it all worked out for the best and I can honestly say I know how to deal with most problems I will come across at the register. I need to start reading up on 'Geek Squad Black Tie Protection' though, because there seems to be varying types of plans for different devices. There is a meeting early in the morning this Saturday that I hope to learn more from, and hopefully be paid by then, AND get my actual schedule (not just a random day to work here and there). I just really need to learn how to be a cashier perfectly by "Black Friday" or I'm going to be lost.

p.s- the reason there was a "wave rush of people" when I started working with the girl who was trying to teach me is because it was a Tuesday which is apparently "release day" for most places. There are apparently a lot of 'G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra' fans. I didn't want to see that movie and won't, because it looked like a 'Halo' wannabe and nothing like the old show I used to watch as a child.



O' I also got a new license, my Florida license.
I do not look like a drug dealer and/or gang member right? xD
they never turn out good. I should have smiled.
and yes...i'm under 21 ;p

No comments: